Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring Conference

Highlights from the Spring Conference
  • Wow! I learned so much!
    • I spent Sunday night on Teachers Pay Teachers! I spent some cash finding some cool lessons and activities that went along with the ideas that I learned from others. The presenters did a wonderful job, but I learned the most through discussion questions and chatting with other teachers.
    • Hands On Material that are ready to go!
    • Phonics
    • Our second grade phonics program is weak! I explored and found some good information on Beanie Baby Phonics.
    • Comprehension. I learned about an awesome reading website that includes a comprehension piece.
  • Networking
    • I enjoyed getting to know the fine people of St. Cloud Blended Two  a little better + I met some others who are going through the same program.
    • It was a great way to learn!
    • I told some people at work that this was the best "in service" that I had ever been to.
    • We have so much to learn from each other!
  • Preparation
    • I think I will be ready for next year.
    • Seeing the presentations answered many questions that I had about the whole process.
    • It is not as scary as I imagined it!
    • Dos
      • Hands On Activities
      • Give them ideas to use in their own classrooms that are ready to go
      • Supply listeners with websites and tools
      • Be energetic and confident
    • Don't
      • Talk too much without asking questions
      • answer the questions that are asked each time
      • assume the listeners know about each acronym or tool
The Spring Conference was fun to attend and I felt very inspired!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, Nikki, you gleaned a ton from your experience as an attendee at the spring conference. There really is nothing better than having time to share and collaborate with peers. Too bad that we don't have more time in our own buildings to do more of this! At least this program provides you opportunities to do that, and hopefully now with this blogging, you will make that many more connections to continue this sharing and collaboration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,

    I learned a lot at the spring conference too. What a great learning experience not only to give us an idea of what to expect next year, but also to learn things that we can apply in our classrooms.

    I have a great resource for the beanie babies that I am going to email you. A colleague of mine shared it with me. She printed them on half sheet papers and gave a copy to her students as a book so when they get "stuck" on a word, they can page the book and use multiple strategies. She uses this method until the students are comfortable using more than one strategy to decode words. I am going to try this with some of my struggling readers.

    I haven't seen the Beanie Babies used for comprehension. Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the beanie baby posters! It is so fun to connect with someone else who teaches 2nd grade. I told you about that phonics sheet that I have. I do not have a digital copy, so I will scan it and send it over. We should talk some more about phonics. I struggle with what to do sometimes with my readers. I have heard mixed reviews ever since I started teaching! Hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather! See you next weekend!

      Delete