Sunday, April 21, 2013

Backwards Design - Travel Time

QUESTIONS, QUEStions, questions......

This is what I have been missing! To begin, I have discovered that I ask very "thin" questions. So many of my questions can be answered with facts or yes/no. After digging into the BD approach, I can honestly say that my questioning style has improved. I am trying to dig into the last three ladders of Bloom's Taxonomy, Analysis, Synthesis and Evaluation. I can get the facts I need through "thick" questions. In order for kids to evaluate a character, they must know the facts.

Examples:
OLD ? - What job did Max's father have in Max Found Two Sticks?
NEW ? - How would you feel if your dad had the same job as Max's dad in Max Found Two Sticks?

OLD? - Why did the Mice say that Montigue was a funny looking mouse?
NEW?- Has there ever been a time when you felt like you didn't belong to a group? How do you think Montigue feels with the mice?

My BD Plan - Travel Time

I have been teaching the Travel Time theme for eight years. I have pushed aside the meaning of the entire theme and taught each story as a solo lesson. The backwards design approach has allowed me to connect each story. I am finally finding the lost meaning of the entire theme. Our essential questions open up many opportunities for our students to grasp the full meaning of travel.

Essential Questions:
Why is travel important?
 
Essential Questions:
How has travel changed over time?
 
Essential Questions:
What advantages does each type of travel provide?
 
Essential Questions:
How are cultural barriers broken through travel?

I have had the most fun digging into stage two. I have discovered and rediscoverd some formative assessment tools that will have a great impact on my students.

Formative assessment tools that I have included in my plan.....
  • Think, Pair, Share
  • Idea Wave
  • Exit Questions
  • Travel Web
  • Quick Write
  • White Board Challenge
  • Give One, Get One
These are other formative assessment tools that I like and will use in other units....

·       Four Corners – I would love to do this strategy when I do persuasive writing. I think that they will be able to expand their views after talking with their peers.

·       Circular Check – I would like to work on this when I teach multiple step addition and subtraction problems. They could get into circles of three people and complete the problems together checking for mistakes as they go.

·       RAFT – I used to do this with my gifted/talented students all the time! I need to pull out my things and do it again. It was a nice reminder. I usually do the RAFT as a follow up to reading stories. This activity allows them to dig deeper.

·       ABC summaries – This would be a cool way to assess story elements,social, science and health units. Through sharing, the kids will learn so much more about the unit.        

I look forward to completeing my first BD unit!


No comments:

Post a Comment