Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tech Tool

The new tech tool that I have integrated over the past two weeks is the app, Fluency Pro. Lori shared this app with me and showed me how she uses it class. I love it! This is a very simple app, which makes it very easy to integrate, and my students have been able to do it independently at a center. This app focuses on fluency. Last week, I shared the four main components of fluency with my students; punctuation, accuracy, rate and expression. We talked about the importance of each component and practiced what they sounded like. The students took turns throughout the week visiting the fluency center. They recorded themselves using Fluency Pro for one minute. They then listened to themselves with a self evaluation form that Lori gave me, and evaluated themselves in each area. At the bottom of the sheet there is a spot for a reflection goal. It was very cool to see what area they felt needed to be worked on the most! This will become a fluency tool that is used weekly or every two weeks throughout this year, and probably on to the next!
I progress monitor 6 of my students using the FAST progress monitoring system. When they read, I recorded them on Fluency Pro too. When they were finished progress monitoring, we listened to the recording. It was so cool to see them listen and actually think about where they can make improvements in their reading.
Fluency Pro = Very Simple and Cool App!

2 comments:

  1. Nikki,
    That sounds really cool! Do you think it would be something that 1st graders could do later in the year? I am thinking it might be something really good for my high flyers and those on the verge of exploding into reading. would you be willing to share the self eval?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    I love this idea. I bet the kids really enjoy it as well. What a great tool to use to help those kiddos with their reading fluency. I like that you are using it as an additional tool when progress monitoring.

    ReplyDelete