Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Favorite Holiday Lesson

I love teaching the kids about Hanukkah! We read Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel. This is a fantastic book. Hershel travels to the haunted synagogue at the top of the hill to save Hanukkah! He tricks several goblins along the way into lighting the menorah candle! The kids love that this holiday story includes scary goblins! I accompany this lesson with letter writing. My students create their own "good" goblin. They create the goblin with construction paper adding as many eyes, ears, arms, etc. as they see fit.They glue their goblin to one side of a large piece of construction paper. On the other side my students write a letter to Hershel, coming from their created goblin. They love naming their goblin! We also play the dreidle game when everyone is finished. I will post some pictures when my kids complete this assignment next week.

Example of Letter
Dear Hershel,
       Thank you for saving Hanukkah! I would like to tell you that I am nothing like my brothers and sisters. They are naughty and I am nice! I love celebrating Hanukkah! Eating potato latkes and playing the dreidle game are my favorite traditions. I am so embarrassed that my brother tried to steal your gold! I am so happy that you tricked him! Thanks again!
                                                                    Your Biggest Fan,
                                                                      Buck the Goblin

No comments:

Post a Comment