Tuesday, November 12, 2013

AGAPE - Presence


Presence – Through Relationships

I believe that in order for a student to reach their full academic and social potential, they must have a teacher who shows a great deal of presence. Teachers must be committed to showing love and compassion for their students daily. Their students must feel a true bond to feel safe.

In my classroom I try to provide a loving environment. I greet the students daily and provide a positive atmosphere. When students are struggling to follow classroom routines of respect and responsibility I try to redirect them in a positive way. We have positive reinforcements within our class. My students earn points for participation, positive behavior, and kindness. They get to turn their points in at the end of the week for a community building game. The group with the highest number of points gets to pick the games and takes turns being “it”. This type of incentive is risk free and helps build a climate of acceptance.

In my personal life, I feel that my presence is weak. I hardly have enough time to reflect on my actions or decisions. I feel like I am in a constant whirlwind. I need to slow down and find time for self-reflection. I do feel that I have a very loving and open relationship with my husband and kids. We spend a lot of time enjoying each other. I just with that things would slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment