Sunday, November 17, 2013

Instructional Strategies

Marzano's list of instructional strategies was a helpful reminder. I liked the comparison of strategies to a chess game. There are so many moves that we can make as teachers. Three strategies that I need to make improvements on are...
  •  Asking students to generate mental images and draw pictures to represent what they are learning
    • This type of strategy would be great for all students. Through this type of reflection and generation of ideas, I will be able to tell if they have fully grasped the concept and if they are able to go a step farther, making connections.
  • Providing feedback and learning goals throughout a unit
    • This strategy is so important, but I always find myself saying that we do not have any time! I need to make time! The value of setting goals and knowing where your expectations are is very important. I would like to set goals at the beginning of large projects and units.
  • Asking students to assess themselves throughout a unit
    • I rarely ask my students to reflect on how they are doing. I would like to set up graphs for their timed tests. I would also like to show them how their writing and reading fluency has been improving throughout the school year. They will be proud of their accomplishments and will be able to see the value in learning. These reflections will help them become accountable for what they are learning and hopefully drive them forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment