Saturday, October 5, 2013

Differentiation Tool

 
 
 

After reading the differentiation articles, I realized that I differentiate by ability most often. I rarely use learning styles or interest inventories to teach my students. That is why I decided to create a menu that focuses on several different learning styles that my students might have. The articles also stressed the importance of student choice. This menu offers nine different choices for my students. I teach our new vocabulary words every Monday. I usually assess their knowledge of the new words through sentences, a vocabulary grid or a vocabulary journal. This routine seems very dry and I can tell that my students feel that this process is very repetitive. I hope that this menu will boost my student’s interest in their new vocabulary words!

At the second grade level, I feel that it is very important to demonstrate and guide my students through new types of lessons. I have decided that I will show and assign one menu option a week until I have covered all eight. I have already covered four of the options, so I only have four left! My students will then use the menu for the rest of the year. I hope to see some creative projects come out of the student choice option! I showed my kids the menu and explained that we are moving towards student choice vocabulary work. They are very excited!

9 comments:

  1. I studied the "tiered" aspect of differentiation and I see you have such characteristics showing up on your chart grid,...activities with a little more challenge, engagement, or slant, including student choice....this brings out the expression that the concept of "variability" being a good thing for thinking. mjb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I think it is great to have the students pick a way they want to do their vocabulary. It will get them more involved in what they are learning. I can even use some of these ideas with my students. Very Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! How fun! This is something that would be very exciting for my students. Have you tried using menus with spelling words for practice? It is so important for the students to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori, I haven't made menus for spelling but I should! Do you? I have done menus for themed weeks during our reading time, but I feel like the only kids who ever got to the menu were kids who finished their work right away. Some kids NEVER had a chance. I am going to use this will all students as their vocabulary assignment and not an extra. I think that it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Milt,
    The focus of this grid was to accommodate the multiple intelligences/learning styles in my classroom. I agree that it naturally tiered itself. That is why I need to think about learning styles when I create my differentiated lessons. I am also excited to see what they come up with in the choice box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki!!! This is wonderful!! I'm so happy I checked your blog as I can certainly do something like this in my classroom and can't wait to try it out! I think it was wise to model each choice first and then allow students to choose after having an understanding of what each will "look" or "sound" like in practice! I can see my kids just running with something like this... I agree with you that the same vocabulary grid and sentences week after week get quite dry and old. Will you make more menus with new options after students complete this one or will you start over? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki-you have inspired me to try using a menu type option with spelling!! I have differentiated lists, based on a Words Their Way inventory, so last year kind of "settled" at that being enough for differentiation. However, I love the idea of providing them with various ways to practice at home and at school. Are the students expected to complete "just" one of the activities per week as homework? Or will they work through this menu sometime during the school day? Great strategy and very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki,
    I love this idea...super fun!! I think I could use this type of format as well with Kindergarten, but do it with their sight words. These ideas would be great for center time. How many do they have to complete in a week?
    Stacy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amber, Stacy and Natalie,
    Every Monday I teach new vocabulary words for the week. I think that I will use this menu all year. I hope that the kids come up with their own way to show knowledge of new vocabulary words on the student choice option. They will complete this process in class every Monday. I will need to make sure that I am covering complete sentences throughout the week. I usually make sure that they have this skill covered through their vocab. sentences on Monday. We have plenty of other opportunities! I hope to make other types of menus throughout the year! I think menu options for social, science and health would be really cool. The kids could share and learn from each other in very creative ways! See you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete