Thursday, October 17, 2013

Connections


The most meaningful piece of the fall conference was the opportunity to make connections. I enjoyed the time; surrounded by others with the same teaching passion. It is nice to talk with other colleagues from different areas and schools. We can see how much we have in common and the differences that we experience. We all have the same goal in mind, and that is to support and teach kids!

The Action Research sharing was the most beneficial for me. As I was learning about my group’s topics of concern and interest, I realized that I could make some of those same changes within my classroom. One teacher talked about the importance of choice. Her students can work and learn in their choice spot. She has several different seating choices for her kids. They pick where they feel the most comfortable to learn. Another teacher is working on fluency within her classroom and she is using reader’s theatre to tackle that skill. She had some very useful ideas to share. Another learner from the cities is studying how boys learn best. At this age, boys and girls are SO different! I hope to learn more from her too! She said that boys learn best through repeated reading strategies. I had never thought of that!

We worked together in a community to share and learn. The environment was safe and welcoming and I am excited to learn from these other teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment