Saturday, October 5, 2013

Action Research Abstract


How will the implementation of literature studies affect comprehension among “gifted and talented” second grade readers defined as those students reading two grade levels beyond their chronological age?

The question guiding my research is as follows: How will the implementations of literature studies affect comprehension among “gifted and talented” second grade readers defined as those students reading two grade levels beyond their chronological age? Through my review of literature I found that gifted and talented student’s comprehension skills improve with 1) focused discussion groups 2) high order questioning 3) literature logs and 4) appropriate literature giving students choice. Skill development for me includes the organization of literature studies which focus on the six levels of Blooms Taxonomy. Discussion questions along with literature logs reflect each level. Students are focusing on one level every two weeks. Each week their literature log and discussion questions build in complexity. The students will be assessed through their literature logs and through their discussions with their literature groups. A take home piece is also included in this study. Students take home the discussion questions from each level to help increase their comprehension of the books they are reading at home.

Through my research I hope to increase my student’s comprehension of literature. My hope is that when they discuss or write about their literature without any prompts, they reflect using the higher levels of Blooms Taxonomy such as analyze or synthesize. I hope to build their love and interest as well as their comprehension of literature.

AR Plan Questions

When is the final report due, and when do all of my collections need to be found by?

Can I show a video of my students discussing books during the spring conference?

 What are some suggestions you have on how to build on this concept when the 12 weeks are over?

No comments:

Post a Comment