Sunday, September 8, 2013

Houston and Sokolow - Leadership

Reflection  of Houston and Sokolow's Chapter Five, Leadership
  • Favorites from Five
    • "Earth School is different from regular school. In school, you get the lesson first and then you get the test, whereas in life, you get the test first, and then you get the lesson."
      • This is so very true! We are constantly tested by our reactions to challenges and struggles that are presented to us. That is why it is important to bring "regular school" into the classroom. We need to talk about ways to handle challenging situations with peers, teachers, and family members. 
    • "We are inveterate pony finders. People like us are always looking to find the pony and overlooking the horse manure while others just focus on the horse manure."
      • I learned this summer that we do need the manure seekers. They keep us thinking. The problem is that we currently have too many people looking for manure. I hope that others view me as a pony finder. This is a great way to think about it!
  • Challenges with Chapter Five
    • Throughout this chapter Houston and Sokolow explain that it is best to find the silver lining in all life challenges. I agree that looking for the positive benefits in most bad situations is the best way to go. I would have completely agreed with this entire chapter, if I had not listened to someone who had lost her husband in a tragic way, explain why she despises the phrase, "Everything happens for a reason." I know I am blessed to say, that I have never experienced loss. Of course I have had difficulties with friends, family members, and work situations, but I have never been through something as horrible as losing a loved family member. I know that this will inevitably happen at some point. I hope that I will eventually move on and continue to grow, but I do not know if I will be able to find the silver lining.
  • Leadership
    • "Leaders have to cultivate optimism, which is why this principle -seeing problems as opportunities - is so important. It is the possibility behind the problem that offers hope."
      • As I think about the leaders who I have worked with, the GREAT ones were positive. They identified the struggles but focused on the positive ways to improve them. It is very difficult to be around  others who are always negative. I know that I find myself in a negative path at times too. Great leaders are not scared of challenges. They embrace them as obstacles to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment