Monday, March 4, 2013

Teaching and Thinking with Intention

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Luke 12:34

Once again, Houston and Sokolow's Principles of Learning has allowed me to think deeper. This principle is the base of which all decisions are made from. Within the first page they grabbed my attention with this quote, "The more your underlying intention focuses on benefiting others, the more you will engender support from the Universe." After reading this article, I will strive to teach and live with intention. The short video, "Cypher in the Snow," screamed how important it is to show and explain your intentions to your students. The little boy moved through school without being noticed. It is so important to find a connection with each student in class. Every child needs to feel like they belong to their classroom community. It is my job as the leader of the room to make sure that happens.

This is how I plan to Teach with Intention
  • Lesson Planning
    • lessons that build on each other
    • lessons that grasp the attention and love of my students
    • lessons that get to the essential question of what I want my students to learn/know
  • Relationships with my students
    • build a connection with each student
    • express true interest in them as a person and a learner
    • give them the tools to grow academically and socially
  • School Community
    • share ideas and strategies that work
    • move from a level 3 leader to a level 4 lead 
    • give time and intention to committees and organization
  • Make sure my underlying intention focuses on others and not myself.
How do you teach with intention?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nikki - I teach with intention by continually bringing to mind that I can make a difference if I decide that I will, tell someone that I will, and then create a plan to make it happen. You seem to have done that, too, with your plan. Good luck! Your kids need you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Building connections with students is so powerful. It breaks my heart to know that the little boy went through school without being noticed. Making students feel part of the classroom community is such an important part of the day. One way I build classroom community is through a morning meeting. Do you use responsive classroom too?

    Writing down your plan is a great way to ensure that you are teaching with intention. Sharing your intentions with others allows others to support you. It looks like you have a great plan!

    ReplyDelete