Thursday, May 9, 2013

Reading the Room!


Reading the Room – New Concept

Today we used the strategy, Reading the Room! I used this strategy in reading and in science. In reading, we are working suffixes. The kids looked around the room for words with the ly, ness, and ful suffixes. It was a great way to get them moving. They were reading posters and even some reminders that I had around my desk. They used whiteboards to capture the words today. I would like them to use the camera on the ipad when we do this strategy again. I hope that they continue to search for words around their house or at the store that have suffixes too.

We read the room in science too! We are working on properties of solids. Today the kids had a little scavenger hunt. They had to identify items that had certain properties. Once again, they enjoyed the movement and application. I will use this strategy in the future!

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this strategy. I think that this is a great idea to get the kids moving. It is a great strategy to use the resources around you. I think I am going to try this in my classroom. I think I will use the ipad so the kids can have some technology involvement also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! It is a great way for students to make connections from what they are learning to the world around them. I am sure the students would love to do this activity with the iPads. You could turn their pictures into an iMovie to introduce to your class next year.

    ReplyDelete