Monday, June 17, 2013

Seven Structures of Best Practice Teaching - Chapter 8

Stepping off the Stage......

Zemelman, Daniels, and Hyde suggest that teachers step off the stage. This chapter explains that classrooms need to shift from teacher-directed to student-directed. I fully agree that students will have a better understanding of what they are learning, if they are involved in the process.

Best Practice Plan (7 basic structures)
  • Small-Group Activites
    • I have incorportated literature circles into my weekly reading plan since I started 8 years ago. The style that I currently use is not working. I have them do too much paper work and with not enough discussion time.
    • Improvements for next year
      • take notes for sources of discussion topics
        • share notes at circle meeting
        • discuss different points of view
      • Choice
        • Books
        • topics related to the text to discuss
      • Questions
        • not always written and turned in
        • Learn from each other!
      • AUTHOR'S CHAIR
        • I will use this strategy next year!
  • Reading as Thinking
    • I would like to work on my BEFORE reading plan.
    • I often have my students jump into the text during their differentiated group time.
      • Kids need to be excited to read the text that they are assigned.
        • I even need something to get me hooked before I grab a book off the shelf.
      • Make connections with prior knowledge and self
    • Text Codes
      • During and After Reading
        • This is a great way for our students to stay engaged while reading and to also have something to report to their groups with.
    • Written Conversation
      • I will definetely use this stategy with my gifted and talented cluster next year. It is a great way to push a discussion farther.
  • Representing to Learn
    • Problem - ME "I don't have enough time to journal!"
    • Solution - This chapter has taught me that journal if done correctly, replaces textbook study questions, ditto sheets and low level memorization sheets.
    • YAY!
  • Classroom Workshop
    • Choice
      • I must incorporate more choice into my classroom next year.
      • When my students are working on their choice project, I will conduct meetings.
      • This will help to develop my relationships with my students.
  • Authentic Experiences
    • More hands on experiences.
    • Real-Life Connections
    • Fun and Engaging
  • Reflective Assessment
    • Assessment Adjustments
    • Authentic Evaluations
      • For Literature Circles, I would like to track student progress through observational records and small group conferences.
  • Integrative Units
    • I would like to start marrying Reading and Social Studies/Health
    • I would like to teach the same reading skills such as cause and effect during my social studies and health times.

No comments:

Post a Comment